Saturday 30 August 2008

The Chin Syndrome

It’s public so I can’t back out now – I’m committed to shaving off my beard to raise money for the Mayor’s Charity Appeal (which happens to be Motor Neurone Disease and Hearing Ear Dogs, this year).

Cllr Irene Brumwell has been teasing me about my beard since she came onto the council five years ago – and, in a moment of weakness, I agreed to a sponsored shave in her mayoral year. And last Thursday at Full Council, she announced the deal which is that I should appear at the next Full Council (25th Sept) clean-shaven.

So – if anyone wants to sponsor me, please just get in touch.

I’ve had a beard of one sort or another continuously since I was eighteen. I grew it then to make me look older, and it seems to have done the trick. Unfortunately, I’m not sure it is reversible!

Actually, I’m relatively happy about losing the beard (apart from risking a cold chin) – G K Chesterton reckoned that shaving off a beard was a better disguise than putting on a false one – so with luck I’ll cast off my public, recognised, image as my term as councillor comes to an end.

No comments: