Monday 16 April 2007

After the Gathering

So - been out and about over the weekend at the 40th Morpeth Northumbrian Gathering. It looked a great success - and the weather was - errmm... too hot for me if anything.

The Calvalcade was a highlight - and I particularly liked Lord Greystoke's choice of a green feather in his cap. The horses are still missed though...

The concerts were great - and there seemed to be more entries for the competitions this year. Perhaps there's more prestige in winning at the 40th Anniversary? But for me, the musicians' sessions and singarounds in the pubs were better than the concerts - and that's not just because of the beer - Northumbrian music is more music for sharing in than performing?

One gripe - the cafes and tea rooms, not to mention the shops, were nearly all closed on Sunday - with people wandering the streets looking for somewhere to eat. I know when you are running your own business you don't want to work seven days a week - but it did seem like a lost opportunity.

And lastly a word of astonishment - I really don't know how Kim Bibby-Wilson does it - and survives! I hope she feels the success.

No comments: