Saturday 14 November 2009

Denis Murphy

I am quite sorry to see Denis Murphy standing down as MP after 12 years in the job. Despite his reputation as ‘MP for Ashington’, he has been a consistent and enthusiastic supporter of the Morpeth Fairtrade Forum – and he strongly backed the formation of Morpeth & District Credit Union, now Northumberland Credit Union. And, he has always responded to my letters and requests, even if only to pass on a Minister’s reply.

And in election campaigns, he has always been friendly and considerate, even to the point of ‘endorsing’ me on a couple of occasions, suggesting that he’d prefer me to be MP than any of the other candidates.

So, as I gear up for what will be my fifth General Election campaign – I will have seen three Labour candidates, four LibDem candidates and five Conservative candidates. There really should be an award for consistency and persistence!

No comments: